Thursday, April 07, 2016

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts.....
(Post-in-Progress)

1. I received the second part of a Capital One settlement for annoying phone calls today. The class action amounted to about $7 or $8 total...sigh. I think they thought it would be about $16.
-----Worst annoying credit card call ever...and I don't think this was Capital One. My account had unjustifiably gone to collections. I was dripping wet, naked in fact and trying to get ready for work...and very cold...I told the collection agent who was harassing me all of this...yeah, they didn't care and I don't remember what threats they made (why I didn't just hang up on them). Anyway....finally dressed but dripping wet and headed out into the winter weather but the apartment door is stuck. knowing I will get fired or disciplined if I am late to work, as a last resort I attempt to carefully pry the chain,etc. from the wall....that works but the area around the chain cracks off and I am left with a hanging scrap of wood...I have to leave the door unlocked and hope no person or the wind doesn't open it. #AhMemories

2. I need to go upstairs and put this away. Forgive the glare. Neat thrift shop find for when Preschool Girl is older. I used to love the tall coloring books. The poster is in tact, too.
---A lot of my fondness for Snow White comes from a moment Husband and I had at FAO Schwartz when there was a Chicago location (sad it is gone). He was standing by the "BIG" piano and just burst out laughing. Apparently, he was suddenly picturing me dressed in one of the Snow White costumes hanging there.

3.
Our tree this past Christmas. I just realized we have never had normal colored lights...red the first year, purple for many years, return red again the past two years(only due to burnouts). Our first Christmas tree was actually a ficcus. :-)
-----This year's book gifts were Dora the Explorer and "Trumpet of the Swan" (in honor of my mother who liked E.B. White). I think we should getting around to starting on the Trumpet of the Swan Read today.
I don't know where I collected this from (will have to do a reverse image search to see if I can credit)...but will so be using this for Christmas 2017. :-):-) :-)

4.
I love the colors in this photo from cooking a recent pan-seared tilapia dinner. Tonight we are having Pan-Seared Tilapia with Lemon and Caper Sauce. I like that it makes full use of the lemon.

5. A bill to make the Bible Tennessee's official state book is headed to the Governor.
Tennessee is about 81% Christian. It is for that other 19% that the governor should probably veto this bill. While the historic moment will make many Christians happy, this may cause a sense of division and exclusion for others in a place that is their "home"
Will the official book then change when the majority of the state becomes some other religion? This could have humorous/disastorous results.
(FYI in case some legislators think of this as proselytizing, people do not genuinely come to faith by such gestures.)

6. Found a manuscript of a book I will eventually write "There Lies Lincoln" about lies and honesty in Lincoln's life. Perhaps this will be my NaNoWriMo project...maybe I will actually complete the challenge this year.

7.
I am probably almost done reading this. A very addicting read. Just as you think too many beans have been spilled there is more to the story. Somewhat reminiscent of "A Wrinkle in Time." I really, really hope the ending is good. I am going to rate/review this on Netgalley. 
When the real world is emptied of all that you love, how can you keep yourself from dependence on the virtual?
Animal activist and punk rock star Larissa Kenders lives in a dystopian world where the real and the virtual intermingle. After the disappearance of her soulmate, Andrew, Kenders finds solace by escaping to Nirvana, a virtual world controlled by Hexagon. In Nirvana, anyone’s deepest desires may be realized - even visits with Andrew.
Although Kenders knows that this version of Andrew is virtual, when he asks for her assistance revealing Hexagon’s dark secret, she cannot help but comply. Soon after, Kenders and her closest allies find themselves in a battle with Hexagon, the very institution they have been taught to trust. After uncovering much more than she expected, Kenders’ biggest challenge is determining what is real – and what is virtual.
Nirvana is a fast-paced, page-turning young adult novel combining elements of science fiction, mystery, and romance. Part of a trilogy, this book introduces readers to a young woman who refuses to give up on the man she loves, even if it means taking on an entire government to do so.


7. Charlie Sheen is under investigation for stalking-like behavior. So surprising(sarcasm). Yet he presents himself in such a way AT TIMES that you want to believe him...sigh.
I wonder what is in "The Charlie Sheen Tiger Blood Coloring Book."

8. Two years ago:
Toddler: Daddy's not listening to me. (complaining, hand on hip)
Mommy: What did you say to Daddy? (having heard nothing)
Toddler: I didn't say anything. (walks away to play with Legos)

9. Looking through notes from several years ago. I was wondering why no one attempts to make low-sodium Ramen?

10.




Participate in the "Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts" meme. :-)

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5