Sunday, February 22, 2015

On the Menu This Month!

-----Chicken with Apples and Sage. Skipping the pounding of chicken breasts and using chicken tenderloins (usually cheaper at our Walmart and Aldi's). There will be 3 cups of chicken broth left over from the box for us to use in another recipe. The recipe was adapted from "Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 inspired seasonal dishes you can make in 20 minutes or less."
-----Bacon and Roasted Garlic Spinach Dip. We are making two batches...the first to go over chicken and served in such a way that our picky eater Preschooler might eat it. The second batch will be served with pigskins...Husband and I both dislike pigskins but I always revisit disliked foods to find some way I might enjoy them. I really want to like pigskins (my Father loved them).
-----French Onion Garlic Bread. This is our next experiment in garlic bread. We had Sourdough Garlic Bread a few nights ago and enjoyed that. I will serve this with some sort of slow cooker beef stew. A Taste of Home recipe.

-----Tamale Meatballs. In a couple of months I will also try the (easy) Chicken Tamale Bake that is on the same site. :-)


-----Kerala-Style Beef Stew. This was our yummy late night project. The spices were very fragrant during the stage where they were added...we used chipotle chili powder in  place of the serranos and cooked some green pepper and onion for around 10 minutes at the spice stage. Since we used a lot more meat and veggies, we did 8 cups of chicken broth). 
The finished stew! 

-----Chicken with Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce. One we have made and enjoyed before (hence the picture from the Timehop app for Android below). Bonus: There will be apple cider left over for mulling! We have plenty of Martinelli's Gold Medal Mulling Spices to use up.




Husband always buys me a box of Paczkis for Fat Tuesday.
I found several Paczki recipes in an article in Polish American Journal.
I settled down with my Paczki and coffee with heavy cream to do a re-read of "I Am Lincoln."
I had the good fortune to interview Jerome Charyn and that post will be appearing on this blog soon.
The plate and mug were things we bought my Mother.
I was in a nostalgic mood and longing for Spring.  

12 comments:

Ima Mosier said...

I can't wait to try the bacon spinach dip. Two of my favorite things together in one cheesy dip recipe. Love it!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona said...

The chicken and honey mustard sauce sounds delicious! I think I'll have to try that recipe.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Ima,
Yes, I am very excited about the Bacon Spinach Dip, too. Plus, we have a while to try it with the pork rinds as those keep for a long time.

Ali said...

The bacon,roasted garlic and spinach dip sounds absolutely divine. I do like pigskins, but I hate the smell of them from the bag. As long as I don't catch that scent I think they are a great low carb snack.

Runaway Bridal Planner said...

Looks like some great meals! Tamale meatballs sound interesting, yummy too! I wish I was more of a meal planner, it would be so much more helpful!!!

Ginger Rachelle said...

I love making spinach dip it. I crave it all the time and I have a really quick stove top recipe I love but I've never put bacon in it. I love that idea. The stew looks amazing. I love anything with chile in it.

SD Mom said...

I am going to have to make the chicken with apples and sage!!! Yum!!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Ali,
I will take that as a tip, avoid smelling the pork rinds right away and maybe have more of a chance of actually enjoying them.

Run with Sole said...

The chicken dishes sound great. I love using apples in main meals. Have fun!

Sun said...

Looks like a great bunch of eats! The spinach dip and garlic bread look especially tasty :)

Lisa @ Lisa Runs for Cupcakes said...

You had me at bacon spinach dip! That stew also looks really delish and perfect for the freezing weather we are having!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Yes, Fiona, the Chicken with Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce was delicious. Surprisingly, it is one that most of the non-adventurous people I know hesitate to try. I will be visiting your blog again soon. :-)

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5