Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Journey to Jazzland


MY THOUGHTS:
Windy Flute and Spitz trumpet journey to Jazzland...a place where music can be freely played (improvised,not regimented and repeated,soul felt). The two friends meet many other instruments along the way. We are homeschooling for preschool and will be working our way through this book over the next few weeks.

It is fairly long for a children's book and there is a lot there that can be learned as a part of a music curriculum. Just the day before we started reading Journey to Jazzland, we had been talking about orchestras. Preschooler finds the violin interesting, he has a junior drum set and I have told him that he can learn to play any instruments he wants to. I am glad that this book placed so much emphasis on both togetherness and doing your own thing....excellent reminders of how music really should be.

Tomorrow's project...seeing what we can make with all the cutout instrument pieces at the end of the book. :-)
(There is a pdf. of the parts on the website...so you don't have to cut the book or have access to a scanner.)

________________________________







______________________________




AUTHOR BIO
I was born and raised in Fairhaven, Massachusetts and attended University of Lowell (now University of Massachusetts, Lowell). It was there that I learned to love jazz. I have been performing jazz and other kinds of music for over 20 years, throughout the New England area. I live in North Reading, Massachusetts with my husband Richard and my son Charlie.

__________________________________


Buy the book on Amazon. :-)
Formats:  Kindle, Hardcover, Paperback
Publisher: Flying Turtle Publishing, October 2014



(Due to technical difficulties this post is a work-in-progress. ..sigh. )

3 comments:

Gia Volterra de Saulnier said...

Wow! Thank you so much!

I'm really a musician that became an author. Yes, my husband and I thought it would be a good idea to have the cut outs available on the website for those folks who did get the E book version.

Both the hard cover and the soft cover books have the cut outs at the back of the book which were my Publishers idea.

Thanks for the feature, I do appreciate it!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Thank you for a great read for my children. I hope you do the cutout idea in your future music books and I vote for a book about The Blues next. :-)

Gia Volterra de Saulnier said...

That is coming! I already have a good headway on "Boogie In Bluestown" - this time it's about Etta Blue and how she has a really bad day but ends up in Bluestown to learn how to sing the blues to make it better!

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5