Sunday, January 25, 2015

In My Life.....

White Wine French Dressing
The salad went retro last night. I did a combination of my mother's old Church cookbook, ingredients on hand and childhood memories. Husband said it was very good. I used red wine vinegar, freshly squeeze lemon juice, a bit of canola, olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, sugar, a bit of water to shake the last of the prepared mustard out, and a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic. Artisanal lettuce (3 kinds), raisins and apples cut thin (my Mother used to make apples with french dressing taste and smell awesome in salads). I made the dressing on top of the greens and just an amount for me and Husband as the kids will not eat salad. Mixing was easy and I got the exact right amount of dressing. Anyway, the dressing was perfect....clear, lighter and not as sweet as what we usually have in the U.S.
A couple I want to try:
---UK. French dressing is off-white and a bit thick. Includes oil, vinegar, Dijon, and garlic. There are often herbs.
---Switzerland. French dressing is white with mayo or cream.





Yahoo! My book for a review/interview arrived. I am excited to ask questions of an amazing battlefield historian. The book is about what is now commonly called the Battle of Flodden...a 1513 battle with many casualties between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland.



First nursery/orchard catalog of the year.
I hoped there were Japanese cherry trees (nope).
We settled on a pie/jam cherry that will be my Mother's Day present. Excited!
We will start netting my tree when it fruits (in a couple years).
The other day, Paragon Pens sent me a very nice, engraved sample pen.



Friday Daughter went on an early trip to the doctor. The doctor is giving the flu shot out on a demand basis and not setting aside vaccinations for those that already have appointments. The office was loaded with sick children when went for Daughter's booster appointment...at least people were actually staying appropriately in the "well" and "sick" sections (for once). They did not have vaccinations left for our last scheduled appointment. This time, the receptionist told us they would "try" to set aside a vaccination in Daughter's age group (they only had 6). I called bright and early and her dose was reserved with a sticky note. An ER doctor I know said there are a LOT of flu cases in their department lately!



"I'm at the armory. Can you copy?"
"Do you copy?! Are you at the other armory?"
(Preschooler's necklace is a raptor claw that he made with Daddy.)

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5