Thursday, December 18, 2014

Cancer Club
by Lucinda Sue Crosby


This was a very emotional read full of nuggets of wisdom and fear for me. My Mother died after an almost 5-year battle with Stage 4 breast cancer last year. In Marley, I saw my Mother's journey and the many attempts to cope and face all of life's many realities in one quick swoop. I saw the hurry up and wait that is such a BIG part of cancer...indeed, this novel truly had a lot of emotional waiting though it seemed emotions were flying and life was moving along with its many demands. As you may have noticed, I am a bit of a prude, so it took me a bit to get past a few of the sexy parts in the book..but this character was so real to me....kind of what like Auntie Mame would be like with breast cancer. :-) In a way, I might have liked the story more if Marly had not been a jetsetter- the betrayals, insensitivity, apathy and people using being associated with the illness as some sort of trophy are more typical of what the average cancer patient faces. I hope that I handle the battle with as much LIFE should I find myself on the breast cancer journey. 

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5