Monday, November 10, 2014

The philodendron clippings that my mother-n-law gave me now have tiny tendrils. :-)



Mmm. Dinner. A modified version of Manwich's "No Alarm Chili" recipe. This is one of our many uses for the bottom of the pressure cooker my parents had when I was growing up. We used 2 pounds of ground sirloin, 1 can Manwich, 1 can Manwich Thick and Chunky, 15 oz. of Hunt's Tomato Sauce, 5 cans of dark red kidney beans, chili powder, garlic powder, minced onions, a can of stewed tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, about 4 cups of water and some chicken base...yes, we definitely modify and usually cook in large amounts. There was no cumin as Husband is sensitive to it. I am sensitive to if the spices do not blend and that means our simmer was actually 35 minutes (vs. the 10 of the recipe). We served it with sour cream and shredded cheddar. Tomorrow's leftovers will be served with some sweet cornbread muffins (homemade, of course).
---The Manwich site mentions using pouches of Libby's Seasoned Beef Crumbles in place of ground beef. I have never seen this product.


-----Mmmm. Apple Sangria for Fall would be nice (recipe from "Taste of the South Magazine," a publication I love). Every sangria I have tried has given me a headache and I have yet to figure out why (grrr).
-----I see that the doctor in New York City who had Ebola is now well and being released.
-----Reading through the media kit for a review I will be posting as a part of a virtual book tour. The book is Rich Leder's "Workman's Complication" and my review goes up on January 24th.
-----Downloaded the SavingStar app for Android (there is an iPhone app, too). One of the things we are doing is stocking up on Orerida products. If all works well, we can get $20.80 in rebates for this month. This will help with baby wipes and my non-fluoride toothpaste (annoyingly expensive and I am currently eeking out the last of the tube).
-----Another thing on our menus is simple Yukon Gold and Apple Hash Browns.  This will be nice for me because I love Yukon Gold potatoes but can never justify there expense in our area.
-----I am behind on my NaBloPoMo again. Our kitchen sink decided to start leaking. We now owe a friend for a new faucet (this was better than letting the water bill mount until we could afford the replacement next month or even the month after). Anyway, we now have the modern convenience of having the faucet be further overhead...I can water plants and actually fill pitchers without pouring or using the sprayer. Plus, we no longer have a sprayer where the sink still runs at the same time (more cutting of the water bill...awesome). The water pressure is improved and tastes better (our area has awful water and I guess that makes the sinks get a buildup...you learn something icky every day). Anyway, a lot of good came out of our run to get a new faucet. Next will be a filtration system of some sort as now we run all drinking water through a Brita pitcher and that is time-consuming (especially if more than half a gallon is needed).

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5