Saturday, November 01, 2014

Sitting Back and Catching Some Rays (of Writing).

So it is NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). That means, I am definitely concentrating on improving my writing skills this month....I am participating in both. :-)

This is my favorite photo of Ray Bradbury. I am not sure who the photographer was.

Working through Ray Bradbury's 12 pieces of advice for young readers from 2001 will be my first order of business.
The first advice to contemplate:
Don’t start out writing novels. They take too long. Begin your writing life instead by cranking out “a hell of a lot of short stories,” as many as one per week. Take a year to do it; he claims that it simply isn’t possible to write 52 bad short stories in a row. He waited until the age of 30 to write his first novel, Fahrenheit 451. “Worth waiting for, huh?”
(Paraphrased by Collin Marshall on Open Culture)
What I intend to do with said advice:
---Well, of course participate in NaNoWriMo.
---Find a lot of writing prompts and look at them as assignments. Do them all! Use (blog)memes as a warmup for doing this.
---I am into non-fiction and lengthy research. Make plans for implementing this advice on that front. Oh, and poetry, too. And I want to learn to write songs (there is a course on Coursera on this).

I liked this little RIP for Mr. Bradbury. :-)

Other Rays I will be learning from: Raymond Carver and Raymond Chandler. 
This post is a work-in-progress for the month of November. :-)

2 comments:

consciouscacophony said...

Captivating photo and poignant advice. Thanks for sharing and best of luck as you jump right in to the task of implementing the advice.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Ugg. The advice is intimidating me....but I will get there.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5