Sunday, October 19, 2014

Read-a-Thon Progress

My Shelf Confessions

The goal is to read as much as you can during this time.

I started and finished this one in the last 24 hours of the read-a-thon. An addicting read having to do with things that become patterns, addictions and co-dependencies in families...incest, alcoholism, overeating, rape and domestic violence. I was hesitant to read this but the imagery was handled well. It was a very realistic telling but there was only one racy scene (and that was of a non-violent nature and surprised me to have it show up so far into the story). I cried greatly at several points during this reading. The author has presented a very profound reminder of how our families can influence us, good or bad, for years and generations. 5 of 5 stars for me.



Preschooler liked this beautifully illustrated book about the migration of a gray whale. The book is by Sharon Katz Cooper and will be coming out in February 2015 (we read an uncorrected proof).



One of my Mother's books and I am recognizing a lot of the things my parents used to do. This month we are trying out a couple of different baked chicken mixes, making Curried Fried Lamb Chops, baking mixed grain muffins and bread and making our own pancake syrup. Plus a few other adventures from this book and more for next month.
---I am currently on page 218 and trying to figure out if making school paste will make a horrible mess of a pan. I need to figure out if we have to get a pan especially for this.



I get the Fearless Flyer delivered to me. It is what is on sale at Trader Joe's and has several comics in it. I do not find the comics very amusing but I get a lot of ideas of things I can replicate at home. We get to a Trader Joe's about once every year or year-and-a-half. I cheer every time they open a new store because it makes the odds higher that there may one day be a location near me. Unusual thing in this month's flyer...Pumpkin Seed Brittle. I am glad I am reading through this off-and-on today because it reminded me to add a pumpkin for the kids to the grocery list (we do two or three during the season including our annual "Pumpkin of Sorrows" toss). I have skimmed this and mentally formulated plans of what I would like to try making  a copycat recipe for and what I would like to get on our next visit...now to get out a pen and start circling things and making lists.



Toddler's book. Each set of pages features a texture to feel (yarn, a bunny's fur, etc.).I read it to her and our Preschooler actually enjoyed it, too. They both liked scratching Dumbo's ears.
We read this on both Day 1 and Day 2 of the read-a-thon. :-)


Our new ice cream maker that we found at the thrift shop. I don't think it was ever used. Gel canister that you get cold and then it electrically mixes your ingredients. We are trying a couple of strawberry ice cream recipes this month.



Zelazny is one of my favorite authors. "Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming" is hilarious. The book above has seen better days (sigh)...but all the stories are still intact. I re-read a short story that is incredibly touching called "Come the Power." I am now reading the second story in the book "For a Breath I Tarry" which is about a computer who becomes enchanted with (extinct) mankind.
I have read 253 pages of this book so far this read-a-thon.
-----Correct that, I got to page 260 and then doubled back to page 250. There is a story, "24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai" that has heavy mention of things from Japanese culture and I am taking the time to understand what I am reading about. If I had not started looking the references up, I would not know that the latest the story could be set is the end of the 1800s...it takes place in Owari and both the province and the (fuedal) domain no longer exist. This story is very beautiful so far and it hints that much of it will be very sad.


196 pages. There was a lot I already knew and a lot that was irrelevant to me. Still, I had been noticing the advice about profiles and this was just the push I needed to start making mine more effective.I had quit actively writing for a while in the Fall of 2012 and actually hadn't updated my Blogger profile since then!

Also read:
-----I am on page 8 of Michael Crichton's "Timeline."
-----"Follow Me, Mittens." A Scholastic My First Shared Reading book. We read this twice. It is about a kitten that is supposed to be staying close to his owner.
-----"Barbie: On Your Toes."  A learning-to-read book about Barbie and the costumes she wears as a ballerina. There was jumping in this book and we followed the reading by bouncing, jumping and "Spinjitsu Spinning" to the song that is both of the children's favorite..."Bounce (Radio Edit)" by Calvin Harris feat Kelis.
-----A Winnie-the-Pooh interactive book about ducklings. There is an interactive game at the end that we played.
-----A Mickey Mouse Halloween book with flip-ups. Toddler is actually not tearing this book when looking at it on her own (very different from Preschooler at that age).

2 comments:

Lisa Faber said...

This is my first year with this read-a-thon too. Good luck!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Good luck to you, Lisa! I hope you are having a lot of fun. If you have a blog, I will be stopping by soon. :-)

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5