Wednesday, October 01, 2014

FrightFall Read-a-thon.....goals and progress.

FrightFall Read-a-Thon

For this read-a-thon, you have to read at least one book that is scary. I am reading a Neil Gaiman book, "Anansi Boys," that is said to be both terrifying and lightly humorous. It is the story of a boy (and later man) whose father is a very impish and and hard to deal with god (lowercase g vs. God). The covers hint that the book paints spiders in a positive light. A cross of Stephen King and Douglas Adams...now that's a good read.

"Such a charming man," she said wistfully. "What does he do?
"I told you. He says it's the miracle of the loaves and the fishes."
She stared at him blankly, and he felt stupid. When his father said it, people would laugh. "Um. Like in the Bible. The miracle of the loaves and the fishes. Dad used to say that he loafs and fishes, and it's a miracle that he still makes money. It was a sort of joke." 

I am having fun considering whether to make some of the dishes mentioned:
-----Jamaican Stew Peas and Rice
-----Sweet Potato Pudding
-----Jerk Pork
-----Curry Goat
-----Curry Chicken
-----Fried Plantains (I like these.)
-----Pickled Cow Foot (Okay, I am NOT considering this one.)
-----Falafel-Sashimi Ball (appetizer). I am not at all into anything with raw meat or fish...sashimi. I am happily looking at Falafel Ball recipes.
-----Fried Flying Fish.These were mentioned more than once.
-----Chicken Korma
-----Rum Cake. I definitely need more variations of this.
-----Drambuie on Ice
-----Jaffa Cakes
-----Pineapple-Upside-Down Cake. My father loved this. :-)
-----Island Rice Pudding
-----Spicy Cabbage
-----Battered Saveloy. Pretty sure this is a fish sandwich...like fish and chips.
-----Homemade Ginger Beer
-----Oxtail and Rice...well that would be brave of me....but maybe.






Status Update: I finished this book on October 3rd. :-)
___________________________________



Okay, yes I am including Oliver Twist as actually being scary. I am 30-some pages into the 850 of this book that belonged to my Mother. If you really put yourself in the place of the main character, the book definitely has a horrifying element to it. What could possibly happen to poor Oliver next?!
-The goal for this read-a-thon is for me to read 65 pages more.

___________________________________

The last goal, thus far, for this read-a-thon is for me to finish reading a All-in-one-Pot cookbook that my brother and his wife gave me for Christmas several years ago. I am on page 95 and I am passing all useful recipes on to a couple who are friends of mine....the wife just started teaching again and the husband is home doing the dinner cooking.

UPDATE: I have finished the cookbook! The only thing I found in it that I want to make is a Garlic and Chicken recipe. I did not find anything for my friends' cooking level or interest. Beautiful book though and I bet that if I read it again I will find some techniques to try (cookbooks are like that). One more reading goal to go for this challenge!!!




What are you reading?

2 comments:

Michelle Miller said...

Welcome to the read-a-thon. So glad you could join us this week. I've heard Anansi Boys is really good. Hope you enjoy all of your reading this week!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Yes, Anansi Boys was really good. I didn't realize that I have read it before....but still enjoyed it so much. I am trying to get the last of my goal done before the deadline...57 more pages of Oliver Twist.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5