Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dewey's 24-Read-a-Thon
End of Event Meme



1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
About Hour 13 or 14....because I knew I had to sleep. I don't know whether I was asleep or reading for the first few hours of the event...I started the day with a book and I am thankful for days when I can do that.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
-----Something fun/beautiful/sad like Roger Zelazny's "Last Defender of Camelot"...a posthumous collection of his short stories that mainly deal with what it means to be human often from the standpoint of a being who wants to be human or has lost part of their humanity.
-----Douglas Adam's "Hitchhiker's Trilogy"
-----"Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming." A hilarious battle between good and evil. This is the first and best in a series. On a lesser note, I would recommend "If At Faust You Don't Succeed."

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
-----Take musical suggestions and have someone compile a Blip.fm playlist that people can use for background music.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
The cheerleading was very well organized. The only complaining of lack of support I saw was someone who was not getting support in their home.

5. How many books did you read?
3 children's books, several hundred pages of a Roger Zelazny collection entitled "The Last Defender of Camelot" (beautifully written sci-fi), a page of a recipe book for a curry recipe

6. What were the names of the books you read?
-----Look, Baby (Disney boardbook). Children get to feel different textures. My children enjoyed scratching Dumbo's ears for him.
-----"Barbie: On Your Toes." This was followed by a session of bouncing, jumping and "Spinjistu Spinning" to their favorite song Calvin Harris' "Bounce."
-----Roger Zelazny short stories
"For a Breath I Tarry"- 47 pages
"Engine at Heartspring's Center"- 11 pages
"Halfjack"- 7 pages
"Home is the Hangman"- 82 pages
"Permafrost"-30 pages
"Loki 7281"-9 pages
"Mana from Heaven" -46 pages
-----7 pages of "The Up-With-Wholesome, Down-with-Store-Bought Book of Recipes and Household Formulas." I read 157 pages of this book yesterday and I am using several things in my menus this month. This book belonged to my Mother and I am recognizing a lot of stuff from my childhood.

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
I enjoyed all of them. I had both Me Time and wonderful Family Time.

8. Which did you enjoy least?
There was not a reading that I did not enjoy.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
Make a gameplan. Make a plan of how to pamper and cheer yourself.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I will be participating again. I will do a lot more warming-up and planning next time. I will make a fun exercise plan for next time....probably involving use of some of the books.

2 comments:

Donna Rothert said...

I've never heard of a 24 hour readathon, but love the idea of the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy being a part of it.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Maybe I should try to get people to do a readalong with me. :-)

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5