Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sunday Stealing Meme.....

1. What do you have for breakfast on Thanksgiving?
I don't particularly pay attention. This year I will as it is our first year without my Mother and I am sentimental about everything.

2. Do you go to a Thanksgiving parade or watch one on TV?
Sometimes TV. Sometimes neither. Now that Toddler is old enough to watch, we will probably try to find it online...we don't always wake up that early.

3. Do you serve appetizers, lunch, or snacks during the day?
Snacks. Of course, there is sampling as we cook the various dishes.

4. What are the traditional favorites?
Tons of relish tray stuff, enchiladas, unusual stuffings, duck

5. What new recipes will you try this year?
Loveless Cafe's cranberry sauce that has whiskey in it (I have been saving a small amount of whiskey that a friend left at our house...only a tablespoon is needed and I have about a cup). The Banana Split Dessert that my Mother used to make....it has cornflakes and is very yummy. A German Cucumber Salad (Gurkensalat). Some sort of simple rice side dish.

6. What part of the meal do you never compromise?
The relish trays....a carryover from when I was growing up.

7. Who gets to carve the turkey?
Husband and he says the blessing.

8. Family style around the table or buffet style and everyone sits wherever there’s room?
Just depends on how many people.

9. How many will be at your table this year?
Unknown

10. Once you're at the table, do you say grace or a toast or does everyone go around and say what they're thankful for?
Grace and a toast. A lot of people are rather awkward about emotions...like saying what they are thankful for.

11. Cranberry sauce… yay or nay?
Yes....homemade.

12. What time do you eat Thanksgiving Dinner?
Varies. 2pm-ish this year...but we are calling it "Dinner."

13. Three best pies for Thanksgiving dessert?
Blueberry and Mincemeat. I would really like it if my Mother were here to make a mincemeat pie (she passed away in September and will be missed).

14. Do you have dessert right after the main meal or later on?
Later. This year, there will be an even later treat for Toddler....we are making the Hamburg Inn 2's Blueberry Pie Milkshake (a blender activity).



Participate in Sunday Stealing. Yes, I am encouraging stealing. :-)

12 comments:

Shannon W. said...

The Banana Split Dessert sounds very yummy. I would eat the whole thing and not have to worry about the rest of the meal.

CountryDew said...

Desserts are really the best part of the holidays.

I am sorry about the loss of your mother. Be kind to yourself, it will be hard this first year.

bookmammalmusings said...

I hope that holiday memories of your mom will become a new Thanksgiving tradition for you and your family.

Jodi said...

That banana split dessert sounds yummy!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Banker Chick said...

Holidays are always hard after our family has passed on. My mom always had a relish tray along with crabb apples and spiced peaches. I always forget to buy the relishes. She made a mincemeat at Christmas that everyone raved about.

Kwizgiver said...

I hope your holiday is filled with warm memories and much love.

I am Harriet said...

I can graze on snacks all day long on Thanksgiving..

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Shannon,
I remember wanting to eat plenty of the Banana Split dessert. I was excited when I found it in the recipe box and my sister wanted a copy, too. :-) I predict this will become a beloved tradition for my children.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

CountryDew,
My siblings and I always looked forward to my Mother's yummy desserts. I am trying to be kind to myself this year...but it is hard. I really want to have a nice Thanksgiving at our house but I feel like I am not going to get support on this (holidays are never a big deal to some of my loved ones and friends). I am hoping that I am wrong and that the entire weight of preparing for Thanksgiving is not on just me. Aside from that, my siblings and I are each clinging to our respective families this year and I think that will be best for Thanksgiving.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Bookmammalmusings,
Yes, remembering both of my parents and my grandparents is definitely going to always be a part of our holidays. Thank you.
:-)

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Jodi,
Happy Thanksgiving!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Well...Thanksgiving Dinner is now tomorrow for us. We all had wretched colds and had to reschedule.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5