Tuesday, September 03, 2013

¿Cómo se dice?
How do you say?

Language is a big part of our lives right now. We have been busy teaching our children three languages (English, German and Spanish). I have been trying to encourage someone to work as a translator for a while now (you, yes you, I wish you felt confident enough to do it). Plus, it seems that all of my friends are deciding to learn German,too.

Anyway, I was looking at the Rosetta Translation Services site this evening. I have used some of the free translation services of other companies when material is too big for Google and I don't have someone on hand to figure out whatever language quickly. Rosetta Translation Services is a professional translation agency that covers all major languages.
---Rosetta Translation Services specializes in document translation for business and commercial texts. Since the company does legal, financial, medical & technical translations, I am sure this has saved embarrassment and confusion on many crucial occasions (and there are probably a few funny stories).
---The section of the Rosetta site that talks about the technology this translation service uses was interesting. The (willing) data mining of a company's documents to create a growing database actually reminds me of the real life way a person would go about learning a language.
---This company is on both Twitter and Facebook. :-) There is also an e-mail newsletter.

-----Language peeve: I haven't been able t find the inverted question mark for Spanish on this computer. So many other languages are adequately represented! Hopefully, I am just missing it (a lot of the characters are hard to decipher). I had to copy and paste from a Wikipedia entry to get the punctuation mark at the beginning of this post's title.

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart."
‒Nelson Mandela

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5