Sunday, August 12, 2012

In My Life.....

-----Wonderful dinner as a Family! We bought our dinner stuff and then made use of Hy-Vee's seating area. Afterwards, we bought some animal crackers. Little One was initially supposed to pick the cookies but didn't know what to do so walked past them. After we got Little One to pick up the big bag of animal crackers, Little One went across the aisle and wanted to take a bottle of BBQ sauce. Little One hugged the animal crackers all the way to the checkout....but actually gave them to the cashier. :-) We came home and saw some sort of neat motorcycle thing. Little One is now playing with shoes (wearing them on hands and clapping them, experimenting with how to secure the velcro).
-----Little One said at least three new words that I remember yesterday...sun, printer and print. All unprompted and the pronunciation of printer was so clear! We print coloring pages. :-)
-----I signed up to do captioning. I find close-captioning so helpful when I am taking classes and some people NEED it so much when they are reading. I hope I am helpful.
~~~I joined a team for the captioning/subtitling of music videos.
~~~I joined a team that subtitles PBS Newshour videos.
~~~I joined one group that seems really miscellaneous.
~~~I am on the waiting list for Netflix's beta of captioning. That's exciting!
-----I saw a catty former co-worker on the way out of the grocery store. They did not see me. It is the first former co-worker I have seen since I left a job that was, through no fault of my own, bad for my health and self-esteem. This workplace was filled with people who either wanted others to do their work or wanted everyone to do a lousy job (so they did not look bad). I could go on for hours but I am glad I avoided the patronizing conversation and any attempts to get me to work there again.
----- I hope we get to see the Perseid Meteor Shower but it has been raining.
-----This week in my World Music class, we will be studying music of the people we often call "Pygmies." This means I will listen to hoots, hindewhus and yodels. :-)
___________________________



This song has a sampling of the Herbie Hancock recording "Watermelon Man" in it...which imitates hindewhu. Actual hindewhu is the sound of alternately singing pitched syllables and blowing into a single-pitch papaya-stem whistle. In the song Watermelon Man, the sound was achieved by blowing into a beer bottle. I would like to hear what a real hindewhu sounds like vs. this.

I wishfully hope that Madonna is singing about God (vs. saying that she takes that much sanctuary in another human being). The lines "Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice, him or her I shall follow, as the water follows the moon, silently, with fluid steps" are from Walt Whitman's poem "Voices." There is also obviously a quote from Genesis and possibly multiple other references to the Creation story.

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5