Saturday, May 26, 2012

I am looking for homemade ketchup recipes today.

Smoky BBQ Ketchup
~~~Really simple recipe. :-)
~~~I will avoid the liquid smoke option as I am a little leery of this after having read that some of it is bad for your health.
~~~I read somewhere that I might want to try substituting Tabasco Chipotle Sauce (on the Tabasco website, it claims to be fairly mild and the peppers are smoked). Now I just need to find out how long homemade ketchup keeps.


Pastrami Spice-Encrusted Venison with Huckleberry Ketchup
~~~An Emeril recipe.
~~~Venison is hard for us to find and huckleberries can be a bit costly for us to order.
~~~I don't know how easy it would be for us to find juniper berries (but I would imagine not very). I am going to do some research on the substitutes that can be used and what it takes to grow them. I have never tasted a juniper berry.

Cajun Turkey Cheeseburgers with Tabasco Ketchup
~~~Seems like it might be a little spicy for Husband and Little One. I will see what I can do to rework the recipe.
~~~Potassium, Vitamin C and fiber from the bell peppers. :-)

5 comments:

Annie said...

That's the problem with making things like codiments homemade. You never know how long the darn things will store. I do have a book from way back when however, that answer both questions. I look around and see if I can find it.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

That would be great. :-)

Annie said...

The book is hiding. I'm still looking. I did look around online and found info that homemade ketchup can last for four months. I wouldn't take that to the bank but when the book surfaces I'll check in again. It should also include info on shelf life.

Kristin said...

Those sound like great recipes. Thanks for sharing the links.

ICLW #65

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Thanks, Kristin. :-)
I noticed that I left off the link for the Cajun Turkey Cheeseburgers and I am trying to get it up right now....but my internet service has been really bad today.

The burgers are the recipe that I am looking forward to most. I will definitely have to try an unaltered version for myself (vs. whatever rework I come up with for sensitive stomachs).

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5