Saturday, January 08, 2011

Recipes from Afghanistan.....

Deserted houses in Afghanistan. The photographer says they were apparently affected by war.
Licensed photo. Photo taken by Barun Patro.
-----Kofta Nakhod (Meatballs and Chickpea)
-----Saudi Samboosak (Meat Pies). Eaten to break the fast in the evenings (during the month of Ramadan).
-----Boulanee (Mashed Potatoes and Meat Turnovers). Despite the review of one, I would like to try both recipes.
-----Samoosi Yirakot (Stuffed Vegetable Turnovers). I am not sure if the matzoh meal can be found here...but will see.
-----Chelo Nachodo (Chicken and Chickpea Stew with Rice)

I have decided that, in 2011, I will learn more about the world....naturally, for me, this includes cooking. From what I have read, these are recipes used in Afghanistan. I am only collecting recipes that I will be able to find the ingredients for....the stores around here are limited (for instance, no lamb or cranberries can be found anywhere in our area....well, cranberries can be found ONLY during the Holiday season).

2 comments:

Farrukh said...

That is really nice of you to explore different cultures. Kofta is my favorite dish.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

I think that here in the United States many of us have a limited understanding of different cultures. I had never heard of any of these dishes before yesterday. I am looking forward to the Kofta as I really like chickpeas.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5