Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Adding to the (I've) Never Cooked With List

Licensed Photo. "Farmhouse Fireplace" Taken by Roger Kirby.



A list of things that I have never cooked with (but intend to try).

I have never cooked with:


-----Barley Malt Syrup. The best way to use it is along with other natural sweeteners...I do not know what sweeteners I will use it with yet.
-----Bay scallops...or any scallops. Some of the people on Hell's Kitchen make cooking scallops seem like rocket science.
-----Bean sprouts. I have eaten them.
-----Black sesame seeds. I have seen these mentioned many times and I am really eager to try them.

-----Cashew butter. Martha Stewart has a recipe for cookies that use cashew butter (with it being homemade). Ready-made cashew butter can be purchased at Trader Joe's and most health food stores.
  

-----Chevre (goat's cheese)
-----Chipotle Tabasco
-----Curry Powder
-----Dark sesame oil. I have cooked with regular sesame oil. When I try cooking with the dark sesame oil, I will look up several recipes (as sesame oil can go rancid quickly).
-----Dry mustard. I now use dried mustard on a regular basis. 
-----Enoki mushrooms.Mild.Crunch. Used for soups and stir fries.
-----Farro
-----Fennel. Fresh fennel....I use the dried at times.
-----Fried squash blossoms
-----Frozen ramen
-----Garlic Tabasco
-----Gray Salt
-----Ground Szechuan peppercorns
-----Halloumi Cheese
-----Haricot Vert. French green beans. We will eventually be growing Haricot Vert.
-----Harissa....how to make Harissa Grilled Halibut with Grilled Red Pepper Harissa
-----Hoisin sauce. My first recipe candidate for cooking with hoison sauce is Salmon Summer Rolls with Dipping Sauce.....that way I get to learn to use the rice paper for rolling, too. I am also interested in this Beef and Green Bean Stir-fry ( I sometimes break my soy taboo and use a little soy sauce).
-----Hotel Bar butter. Part of New York cuisine for over a century.
-----Katsoubushi (dried bonito flakes). Bonito flakes are bits of dried bonito fish and they look like wood shavings. They are perfectly edible by humans....but in the United States some companies sell them as cat treats (I do not want to eat the cat treats). Bonito is a type of tuna.
-----Kelp.Supposed to increase thyroid function...and I have thyroid problems.There are some kelp items I will be trying in addition to any recipes.
-----Kombu
-----Leeks. I will be making Julia Child's Potage Parmentier (Potato and Leek Soup). Apparently, you can add green beans to Potage Parmentier....I will likely not like that as I DETEST POTATO SOUP WITH GREEN BEANS IN IT.
-----Lilacs. I want to learn the different ways they are edible.
-----Linguica. I don't know about this one. It will depend on the consistency. I do not eat a lot of pork things...partly because they sometimes make me sick.
-----Mache
-----Madras curry powder. For that matter, I have not cooked with any curry powder and have very little experience with tasting it. 
-----Maltitol Syrup. A sugar-free corn syrup substitute. 90% as sweet as sugar with about half the calories.
-----Mirin. A former co-worker was surprised that I know what it is. 
-----Molasses Sugar
-----Monkfish
-----Muscovado Sugar
-----Nori. I have now tried my first Nori independent of California Rolls rolls. It looked like a papery-green-jerky strip and reminded me of fish skin. I liked it.
-----Peanut oil. I would also like to cook with roasted peanut oil.
-----Pickled ginger. I have eaten it...just e never cooked with it myself.
-----Pine Nuts (never tasted one)
-----Pomegranate Molasses.
-----Powdered peanut butter. It has a lot of possible uses...sprinkled as a flavoring on or in a lot of things. I want to use it in a stir fry...perhaps Kung Pao Chicken.
-----Saigon cinnamon
-----Salsify  Rich and Creamy Salsify Gratin
-----Sansho pepper (Japanese pepper seedpods)
-----Seitan 
-----Sesame Seeds
-----Sherry Wine Vinegar
-----Shimeji mushrooms. Have to be cooked....otherwise are bitter.
-----Shungiku
-----Soba Noodles. I have had them...but have not cooked them myself.  Husband makes a nice Soba Noodle dish. 
-----Sorrel. I have seen empty pegs for sorrel in the refrigerated,fresh herbs at HyVee. This is an ingredient that one has to research how much to cook with...I have read that small quantities are harmless but that large quantities can be fatal. Sorrel has been cultivated for centuries.
-----Squid. I love to eat it.....but NOT pickled. Ditto for octopus on not having cooked and the same eating preferences as the squid.
-----Star Anise. Perhaps I will make the Haitian recipe Akasan.
-----Sweet Bean Paste
-----Tahini. Tomato Salad with Tahini Sauce....talks about eating it during Ramadan (I am assuming during the non-fasting hours).
-----Tamarind paste
-----Tarragon Wine Vinegar
-----Tobanjan (Chinese chili paste)
-----Wakame. If I figured a way to grow it, I would be careful since Wakame is invasive.
-----Wood ear mushrooms. My first cooking with Wood Ear Mushrooms will likely be Chicken and Wood Ear Mushroom Soup. The Chicken and Wood Ear Mushroom Soup uses peanut oil (which I have not cooked with yet).

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5