Friday, November 05, 2010

Wine!.....and Churchill



It has been a good day for the most part. I found out that I won a bottle of wine during yesterday's #winechat on Twitter.

From what I understand it is a bottle of Non-Vintage Pol Roger White Foil Champagne. :-)

I hope it comes in time to share at Thanksgiving.
________________________

---Pol Roger was Winston Churchill's favorite kind of champagne. I find the gastronomic habits of Churchill interesting.
I have read that Churchill also liked:
Alcoholic beverages. How to make a martini according to Winston Churchill...  though I think the vermouth may have been left out at times because there was none to be had. Churchill used Plymouth Gin (as talked about in the last link).
Chocolate Eclairs
Raw oysters
Roast beef with Yorkshire Pudding
Stilton Cheese



<<<=====A hard-to-find book. Written by the Churchill family cook.



Churchill quotes mentioning food (and drink):
~~~"Eating my words has never given me indigestion."
~~~"My wife and I tried two or three times in the last few years to have breakfast together but it was so disagreeable we had to stop."
~~~"My idea of a good dinner is, first to have good food, then discuss good food, and after this good food has been elaborately discussed, to discuss a good topic - with me as chief conversationalist."
~~~When Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery said to him: "I neither drink nor smoke and am a hundred percent fit", Churchill's reply was: "I drink and smoke and I am two hundred percent fit.
~~~"On being acosted as he left a House of Commons bar by Bessie Braddock who said to him: "Winston, you're drunk!" he replied with "Madam, you're ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober.
~~~"When I was younger I made it a rule never to take strong drink before lunch. It is now my rule never to do so before breakfast."
 ~~~"When Nancy Astor said to Churchill: "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee.", Winston riposted with: "Nancy, if I were your husband, I would drink it."
~~~"Always remember Clemmie, that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5