Wednesday, September 23, 2009

One of the Fall Comfort Classics....
Taste of Home Cooking School 2009




Above is the snack that we were served at the Taste of Home Cooking School show that I attended. It is called "Snickerdoodle Chex Mix" and is supposed to taste just like the cookie. I can't say that I have ever had a snickerdoodle.....but this tasted good.

It originally came in a little baggie with a gold twist tie. I would say that there were about three cups there....a very generous snack. My snack even got me through waiting for dinner the day after. "Chapin's," the restaurant that prepared the snack mixes for the evening and jumped to the rescue when the propane for cooking wasn't working, has definitely won points with me.

I received this recipe (and many more) in the cookbook magazine that is the Official Publication of the Taste of Home Cooking School.

Besides the perfectly blended taste ( I won't give away the ingredients as it is available only to subscribers on the website), what impressed me about this recipe was the ease that it took to make. The recipe was demoed with the help of a nice young man (age 12, if I remember correctly) who liked to bake and stated that Top Chef is his favorite show.

I think this would be a great recipe to do with children. Depending on the age of the child, all of the steps could be done. It does involve microwave/hot item supervision.

I will be making this frequently. I would say that it only takes about 15 minutes or so to make...that's awesome for actually putting together a snack.
_______________________

Some of the Chex recipes I found on the Taste of Home website:
-----Chex Muddy Buddies (otherwise known as "Puppy Food" or "Puppy Chow")
-----Seasoned Snack Mix. This was submitted by a Taste of Home field editor.
-----Barbecue Muncher Mix. Says it makes a nice addition to a gift basket.
-----Cereal Crunchies. Have a slightly sweet vanilla coating.
-----Healthy House. A fun recipe for children....and, if I read correctly, the recipe was created by a child. This could help get younger children interested in trying recipes....or at least eating some of their food. :-)
-----Almond Snack Mix. I am interested in this one because I have never had almond extract in a food (I have had it, I'm sure....but not knowing it was there).
-----Cheese Ball Snack Mix. The recipe was tested with Planter's Cheeseballs. If I can get this to taste mildly seasoned but still flavorful, I am going to make this for some of my nieces at Christmas.

1 comment:

Once A Mother said...

Here for blogger bingo (a post from any september that mentions a restaurant.) I have to tell you, I had no idea that so many Chex recipes existed! I am looking forward to trying some of these out, the picture you have looks just delicious and the "sweet cereal clusters" recipe sounds so good right now.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5