Monday, August 17, 2009

Today's Reading....James Beard


Of all the recipes in this small book, there were a total of 19 soups that I intend to try.

Most notable for me:

-----Adas Bi Haamud. Lentil, Chard and Lemon Soup. A tart, Syrian version of lentil soup. I am hesitant/curious about the tartness.

-----Curried Pea Soup

-----Avgolemono.Egg-Lemon Soup. A well-know Greek dish. Requires few ingredients but takes great care to make (meaning you can mess up easily).

-----Cioppino. This is a soup that also qualifies as a stew. Cioppino was invented by California fisherman who used whatever was at hand for this soup. Unsurprisingly, there are many versions of Cioppino.

-----Scotched Crab Soup.Contains Whisky.

-----Cold Avacado Soup

-----Cold Cherry Soup

-----Spinach and Chick Pea Soup. My mother-in-law makes some excellent soups with chick peas (garbanzo beans) and that is what has got me into wanting to cook with them. I read in this book that they take a lot of cooking to tenderize...so, I will keep that in mind and add a little bit of extra time when I prepare the recipe.

Chick peas. Licensed Photo by "SteveFE"


No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5