Friday, August 21, 2009

Adding to The Never Cooked With List.

I started a list of things that I have never cooked with before and I will slowly be working my way through that list. Hopefully, I will be able to find all of the items at a market somewhere.

I have never cooked with:
-----Hoisin sauce. My first recipe candidate for cooking with hoison sauce is Salmon Summer Rolls with Dipping Sauce.....that way I get to learn to use the rice paper for rolling, too.
-----Shimeji mushrooms. Have to be cooked....otherwise are bitter.
-----Tofu. Have eaten. I might prepare something from the "This Can't Be Tofu!" cookbook.
-----Bean sprouts. I have eaten them. Ham and Bean Sprout Salad sounds interesting.
-----Wakame. If I figured a way to grow it, I would be careful since Wakame is invasive.
-----Tahini
-----Tobanjan (Chinese chili paste)
-----Frozen ramen
-----Pickled ginger
-----Black sesame seeds. I have seen these mentioned many times and I am really eager to try them.
-----Shungiku
-----Nori
-----Napa cabbage
-----Enoki mushrooms.Mild.Crunch. Used for soups and stir fries.
-----Age-man (ready-made fried Ramen that is sold at Asian food stores)
-----Bay scallops...or any scallops. Some of the people on Hell's Kitchen make cooking scallops seem like rocket science.
-----Wood ear mushrooms
-----Squid. I love to eat it.....but NOT pickled. Ditto for octopus on not having cooked and the same eating preferences as the squid.
-----Sesame oil. Seriously, I have not cooked with it.
-----Japanese soy sauce. It was in a recipe book. I don't know if it is different than Kikkoman.
-----Katsoubushi (dried bonito flakes). Bonito flakes are bits of dried bonito fish and they look like wood shavings. They are perfectly edible by humans....but in the United States some companies sell them as cat treats (I do not want to eat the cat treats). Bonito is a type of tuna.
-----Shirojoyu (white soy sauce)
-----Kombu
-----Hotel Bar butter. Part of New York cuisine for over a century.
-----Leeks. I will be making Julia Child's Potage Parmentier (Potato and Leek Soup).
-----Almond milk (reportedly Michael Jackson had it with granola for breakfast)
-----Kelp.Supposed to increase thyroid function...and I have thyroid problems.There are some kelp items I will be trying in addition to any recipes.
-----Soba Noodles (though I have had them and had them cooked for me)
-----Miso (eaten this plenty of times)
-----Pine Nuts (never tasted one)
-----Muscovado Sugar
-----Cashew butter
-----Curry Powder
-----Scallions
-----Shiro miso (white miso)
-----Ada miso (red miso)
-----Sesame Seeds
-----Seitan (wonder how this is pronounced and I have never had)
-----Fleur de Sel (maybe I have had this....haven't paid attention to sea salt labels)
-----Tofu (I don't counting heating up veggie burgers as having cooked with it)
-----Edamame (though I will not be able to taste/eat due to thyroid issues)
-----Sansho pepper (Japanese pepper seedpods)
-----Salsify
-----Gobo (burdock root). Tastes similar to an artichoke. You only eat the roots....the parts the grow above ground can cause dermatitis.---too many negative aspects for my tastes. It's upsetting that I decided not to cook with this....I wanted to try a noodle dish that involved burdock root. I am concerned that it would be bad if my dog got it somehow.
-----Mirin. A co-worker was surprised that I know what it is. I wonder if there are many recipes that one could substitute it for sake.
_____________

HOPING:
That I get tickets to go to a really nice cooking class next month.....stay tuned for details of my experience if I do get to attend. :-)
_____________




2 comments:

Alison said...

ohmygosh i love tofu... Husband hates it and says it tastes like a sponge...but i love it.. you should try it!

ICLW-

alison
http://runamokamok.wordpress.com/

kathi said...

I'm of Japanese descent so I've cooked, or tried to cook, with quite a few of the Asian ingredients on your list. There is a difference between Japanese and Chinese soy sauce, and imported and American versions of even international brands like Kikkoman. Imported Kikkoman is less sweet than American Kikkoman.

:: ICLW ::

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5