Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I am reading Julie & Julia.



-----I am taking this book with a grain of salt since some of the events are made up. I understand that conversations have to be imagined when writing dialog. I just wish that I knew every detail that was fictional. I need a copy with the fictional parts highlighted....so I don't have to try to figure it out myself.
-----Speaking of learning true facts about great chefs, I hope that new Food Network Show "Chefography" is good.
-----The first chapter is called "The Road to Hell is Paved with Leeks and Potatoes."
-----I have been watching old episodes of "The French Chef." I particularly learned things from the "Spinach Twins" episode. Julia Child makes stemming the spinach look so easy...turn it over, cup fingers around it and essentially peel the stem off. I also like that Julia is not afraid to squeeze the water out of the spinach (the wateriness of spinach is what I have found a lot of people have a problem with). Julia Child squeezing the water out of spinach reminded me of someone doing their laundry by hand.
-----Potage Parmentier (Potato and Leek Soup). The recipe given does not state what kind of potatoes to use....but I believe that Julia does in "The Potato Show" episode of "The French Chef" that I watched recently. The wrong kind of potatoes can definitely make or break a dish.
-----I am fairly conservative (though open-minded). I do not identify a lot with the lifestyle and actions of Julie Powell. I would imagine that I will either gain a new appreciation of her learning lessons or really. REALLY not identify with Julie when I read the next book (in which she has a love affair).

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5