Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cooking Adventures.....Taste of Home

Licensed Photo. "Farmhouse Fireplace"
Taken by Roger Kirby.


-----I am cautiously excited....there is a chance that I might get to attend one of the Taste of Home Cooking School sessions this Fall! They look phenomenal.
-----I have a free subscription to Taste of Home through She Speaks ( a site that is a LOT of fun and that I highly recommend to the gals out there. I also took advantage of a special offer recently and got my Mother-in-Law a subscription to Taste of Home Magazine for just 10 dollars....I hope she likes it.
______________

I really like their Recipe Makeovers section...."Your Favorite Recipes Made Healthy." I am going through and deciding those that I want to try....and pass on to relatives with diet concerns (either facing a health issue or trying to prevent one).

There are a lot of people at my workplace who might appreciate these recipes, too. I might bring some of the finished products to work to share...after I have perfected making them.



Appetizers
-----Creamy Artichoke Dip...50% less fat than the original.
-----Garlic Spinach Balls. Originally had a lot of butter. I have never had a garlic spinach ball nor known that there was such....so, I look forward to trying this. :-) Garlic has so many health benefits. If I like it, the green color makes it a candidate for St. Patrick's Day and Christmas menus.
-----Veggie Pizza Squares. Includes broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
-----Mexican roll-ups...with fat and cholesterol drastically reduced.



Main Dishes
-----Chicken 'n' Broccoli Braid....replaces some mayonnaise with yogurt!
-----Chicken Artichoke Bake. I have never had artichokes in anything where they weren't really blended in. I definitely want to do some cooking with artichokes...and really experience them.
-----Creamy Chicken 'n' Artichokes. I often enjoy cooking with alcoholic beverages more than I enjoy drinking them. I will have to pick a nice bottle when we try this.
-----I wonder if I could find a main dish on here that we could be modified to include the pomegranate wine that we purchased at the grocery the other day. Hmm....I must explore healthy recipes that can use pomegranate wine.
-----Shrimp Rice Casserole. If you need to boost fiber, you can replace the white rice with brown rice. Remember that brown rice often takes much longer to cook. Also, be more careful in your brown rice taste testing....take from more than one area and taste it longer....this advice comes from crunchy rice experiences (though I taste everything when cooking).
-----Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese. We like anything that involves the crockpot. I am wondering if this will involve a lot of mess when it comes to cleaning the crockpot.
-----Velvet Shrimp. I have never had any kind of shrimp dish that involved cheese.
-----Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese. Willing to try this one.



Side Dishes
-----Creamy Cranberry Salad. You can only find cranberries here during the holiday season. My plan is to either take a roadtrip during appropriate weather for transporting food or to freeze a LOT of them (at Thanksgiving and Christmas).



Desserts
-----Chunky Peanut Butter Cookies. They have coconut and raisins.
-----Old-Fashioned Banana Cake....with the addition of crushed pineapple and maraschino cherries.
-----Coconut Supreme Torte. Looks good....but for me I think that I would still only want a small piece. I tend to eat only small portions of anything with coconut....how I am with the sweetness.
-----The dessert section of Taste of Home's Recipe Makeovers is making me WANT DESSERT!

_________________

I am working on a new feature for my blog called "Weight Loss Gets Real." This will chronicle my efforts to lose the remaining 23.2 pounds gained from a thyroid problem. There will be a lot of recipes (probably made over), a lot of health books explored, intros to all the weird exercise things I have/do and real-life pictures of the scale as it reads when I weigh myself. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

isabella mori said...

hey - it's isabella again, this time hailing from netchick's meet'n'greet. hello-oh :)

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Isabella-
Hello to you,too. I have (virtually) seen you a lot today. :-)

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5