Friday, August 28, 2009

Haricot Vert



-----I am teaching myself French...mainly starting with culinary terms. I still need to make a learning contract with myself on this as a part of my "23 Things" work. I am just not sure what I want to put in my I-Will-Learn-French Learning Contract.
-----My term for the day is "haricot vert"....it is the French word for a "green bean" and was an ingredient on Hell's Kitchen this week.




-----French green beans are usually thinner,longer and more tender than American green beans. They also have a more complex flavor than American green beans.
-----I am not sure if I will be able to find haricot verts at the grocery.

Recipes:
-----Garlic Lemon Green Beans. A side dish.
-----French String Beans.Pretty simple recipe.
-----Haricot Vert Salad. From Martha Stewart
-----Haricot Vert with Shallots. I definitely need to find time to go through all of Smitten Kitchen recipes, make some and post them on the Smitten Kitchen Recipes Flickr pool.
-----Emerils Bacon Smothered Haricots Verts. Calls for sherry wine vinegar which is on my "(I Have) Never Cooked With List." Apparently, it might be a good dish for Thanksgiving Dinner.
-----A simple way to cook haricot verts from "The Essence of Emeril."
-----Cold Green Beans. Calls for walnut oil. I like walnut oil. Walnut oil can be hard to find.
-----Roasted Haricot Verts,Fennel and Potatoes. I have never cooked with fennel. It is on my "(I Have) Never Cooked with List"....and I will be remedying the fact that I have not cooked with the many ingredients listed.
-----Thai-Style Haricots Verts. Peanut oil and fish sauce are on my "(I Have) Never Cooked with List." I have also never cooked Thai food.
-----Seviche of Striped Bass. Calls for "1 oz. red onion, Brunoise"...and I need to figure out what this is.
-----The Ultimate Almandine. This is a personal recipe from the author of "The Well-Seasoned Cook" blog....one of my newest great finds.


6 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I don't know how you are learning french, but Live Mocha is a good place to find native speakers to connect with in any language. I recommend it!

Bev Sykes said...

(I'm *mingling*, BTW!)

Beautiful Mess said...

HAPPY ICLW!

Mmmm those recipes sound good. I may have to try some of them. I love experimenting with cooking and ingredients.
*HUGS*

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I only know a few basic French words. 'Haricot Vert' was not one of them! NetChick sent me here.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Thank you, Bev. I signed up for Live Mocha. I am taking the French 101 course.

I am having problems picking up the nuances in the sounds. I am like this in other languages,too. Same with singing. I think I damaged my hearing at one point.

I am still trying to pronounce things correctly. I think it is more important to me that I understand what I am reading in French anyway...so that is at least consoling. I mainly want the French knowledge to do my utmost best in classic French culinary efforts.

Native speakers of any language usually find me frustrating at first...then realize that it really does take me months to pick up on the sound nuances. I speak intermediate Spanish, beginning German and and some French (mainly culinary terms). I am constantly picking up some language tidbit. I am not where I want to be as far as languages go....but intend to fix that. Other language aspirations include beginning/intermediate Italian,Esperanto, relearning sign language,relearning Braille.

I am very excited about Live Mocha!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Beautiful Mess,
I love cooking, too. I am especially trying to focus on new ingredients and techniques. I would focus on new equipment but I need more income before buying any.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5