Friday, June 12, 2009

Asbestos....I don't know why it reminds me of Kryptonite.

I believe that I have been around asbestos (not for long amounts of time).That worries me sometimes. Asbestos is linked to a dangerous lung cancer called Mesothelioma. I have read that casual expose is not a problem or that it takes 3 months or longer to be a risk...I have also read that any exposure is a risk.

While I doubt I will get Mesothelioma, there are many people who do. What a shame for them....and their families. It is something that can be a workplace hazard....for construction, auto mechanics and demolition people (among others).
-----Tragically, a lot of WWII vets/workers were exposed to asbestos aboard ships or while building ships.

I have decided that I need to get more educated on this. For instance, I believe that I was once standing by a bunch of it....no, I am not kidding (the place was irresponsible like that). I am pretty sure that I have seen it wrapped around many pipes...but this had just fallen off a pipe and was lying there. I am sure that it has been removed by now (years later)....but it just floored me at the time. At least if it had asbestos it was the least dangerous kind (white vs. blue or brown). Welcome to the care that is our education system (there I said it....what shocked me most was at a school...and I was likely around it at more than one school).

What gets me about it all is that places still carelessly expose people to asbestos. Finding out that you got cancer can occur as much as 20 to 50 years later...then how do you figure out that where the exposure occured?
-----Think about the maintenance workers at large schools....where there are/were lots of wrapping around the pipes of various buildings. Those maintenance works spend a lot of time in the bowels of the buildings. If they were to get this, or other asbestos-related conditions, the disease could start manifesting around the time they were getting ready to retire. I seem to remember reading that some mines also had a lot of asbestos...again one would work all ones life and get this illness around retirement age or that forced them to stop working.

I looked up the symptoms and there are so many....including chest pain,fluid in lungs and tumors. My Mother has Stage 4 Breast Cancer....and it sounds a lot like this. I can't understand why anyone would knowingly subject others to a CANCER RISK (and a fatal one at that). I have read that some of these companies knew what the risk was (just like some tobacco companies). Then there are those, like the schools that I suspect of this, that just don't/didn't want to spend money to have it removed. This is tragic....it makes me sad and angry.
_____________________

People diagnosed with mesothelioma are often entitled to receive financial compensation . There are attorneys who specialize in mesotheliooma. Since a lot of the asbestos manufacturers have gone bankcrupt, an attorney can often be crucial.
Mesothelioma Lawyer


Post?slot_id=39767&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments:

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5