Monday, June 15, 2009

The 100+ Challenge....



The goal is to read 100 books by the end of the year. I am pretty sure that I can do that. I have 10 choices so far.

1. "Netherland" by Joseph O'Neill...a book that Barack O'Bama has read
2. "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Dorris Kearns Goodwin...if I remember correctly O'bama said that he modeled his cabinet after this
3. "Little Big Man" by Thomas Berger
4. "Baking Boot Camp: Five Days of Training at the Culinary Institute of America" by Darra Goldstein. I am not good at baking beyond adding a few things to a mix or following a recipe. I want to know how to churn out totally handmade cookies and pound totally handmade dough (that last part I haven't done for years). I want to make my own pie crust....something I have not done beyond the most simple crusts.
5. "The Professional Chef" by the Culinary Institute of America
6. "The New Professional Chef" by the Culinary Institute of America. Hopefully, there are a lot of additions to the second issue of this book.
7. "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace. Many consider this to be a tome or a "chunkster" but I have read the unedited version of "The Stand"...so, I am not intimidated. :-)
8. "The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke." Again, not intimidated by the size of the book.
9. "The Great American Staycation" by Matt Wixon
10. "Immodest Proposals : The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn. Vol. 1"

JOIN THE 100+ READING CHALLENGE

6 comments:

J. Kaye said...

Wanted to stop in and welcome you to the 100+ Reading Challenge. If you haven’t already, feel free to join our Yahoo Groups . There you’ll find others who are trying to complete this reading challenge.

Links to post your reviews are found at the bottom of J. Kaye’s Book Blog. The bottom of the blog has clickable buttons. Just click on 2009 Book Challenges and it will take you to the correct page. This is, of course, totally optional.

Have Fun!

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
That sounds like a neat challenge.

I'm just checking in to see how the comment challenge is going for you. Have fun!

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

J. Kaye-
Thanks for the welcome and all the info. I am sure I will have many reviews. :-)

Jan-Michael said...

Saw the link you put on Akoha.com so tried this site and saw your blog!

Ambitious and awesome! If your eyes get tired reading maybe try Malcolm Gladwell read by him:

The Tipping Point Cassette or CD
Blink CD
Outliers CD

All are at libraries

I and my wife listened to The Tipping Point, 3 hours and I listened to The Outliers myself 10 hours. His stuff is non-fiction but absolutely amazing!

Good Luck
Jan-Michael

Jean said...

100 books in a year? Is that possible???? I just took a look at the number of books I might have read so far this year. Must be ~15-20. Not more. (Have the reviews of some of them at my site)

Jean said...

Have u seen this?

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5