Sunday, August 03, 2008

Joining the "A-Z Reading Challenge"



Requirements:

~ align the author's last name or the title of a book (excluding "the", "a", etc.) with its corresponding letter in the alphabet

~ enter a different book for each author and title (total of 52 books)

~ complete the alphabet lists anyway that suits your fancy
(i.e.: complete each list separately in alphabetical order, read both "A" entries, then "B" entries, fit whatever you're reading into either list, etc.)

~ complete the challenge in the year 2008

~ enjoy the experience!


My Authors:
A-Abbot,Jacob (Cleopatra)
B-Babbage,Charles (Decline of Science in England)
C-Cabell,James Branch (The Cords of Vanity)
D-Dana,Marvin (Within the Law)
E-Ewell,Martha Lewis Beckwith (The Harvest of Years)
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W-Wade,Mary Hazelton (Timid Hare)
X
Y
Z

My Titles:
A
B
C
D-Dahcotah:Life and Legends of the Sioux Around Fort Snelling (Mary Eastman)
E
F-Forty Years in South China (Rev. John Gerardus Fagg)

G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X-Xerxes (by Jacob Abbot)
Y-Yukon Alone (by John Balzar)
Z-

This list may change as I research. I like to read a lot of older pieces....Husband calls it "Heavy Literature." Sometimes, I have to do research as to whether a piece is considered a book or a short story. Some "stories" have several chapters. I am doing my best to make this a true Challenge. :-)

I guess, since the older literature that I read is more difficult to classify, I will have to use research and my own best judgement. Let me know if you severely disagree with my classifications/findings and I will choose another piece. :-)

10 comments:

Joy said...

Welcome to the A ~ Z Reading Challenge, Butterfly! You have a long way to go, but I'm sure it'll be fun all the way. :) Happy Reading!

Don't forget to come back and link your posts of the books you've read. You have an "X" Title book that I've never seen. That may be very helpful to others. :)

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Thank you, Joy. Yes, I do have a long way to go. Hopefully, time to get there.

Xingu is actually considered a short story...so I removed it from the list. I did think about keeping it since it old and I would likely have to work through it. I would still say that Xingu by Edith Wharton would be an interesting read. :-)

I don't think that I will have a problem finding another X title.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Then again....who knows. The Pearl by Steinbeck is considered a novel and it is only 90 pages long. So, maybe I could leave Xingu. I guess that I will have to use my own best judgement unless questioned. I like to read "Heavy Literature" as my husband calls it...and sometimes that is harder to classify. :-)

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

I eliminated Xingu as it was shorter than The Pearl...but I will read it at some point. It is supposed to be humorous if I remember correctly.

Sleepypete said...

I don't think I'd manage to fill some of the awkward letters but I'll definitely have to see how many of the books in my "to-read" pile will fit a list :-)

Sleepypete said...

(PS Currently reading Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein - well recommended, although it does assume some prior knowledge of the central character)

Joy said...

Hi Butterfly! The challenge is supposed to be fun, so don't worry about your choices too much. Last year I skipped "X" Title and this year I used a children's book, so for those tough ones I think a short story is fine. Do what works for you. :)

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Thank you, Joy....that makes me feel much more at ease.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Pete-
It would be neat if you participated in this...it goes until December. Even if you don't get all of them....you will be a different person than when you started. I think books change us. :-)

I will be adding the book that you recommended to my reading list.

Sleepypete said...

I have a 'Z' author too :-)

More recommended people (sci-fi mostly)
Larry Niven
Robert Heinlein
David Weber
Elizabeth Moon
Anne McCaffrey
Iain M Banks
Michael Stackpole
Jules Verne
R.A. Salvatore
Richard A Knaak
Arthur C Clarke

and the Z guy - Timothy Zahn

(there's a couple there that I thought I'd mention, even though the holes are filled ...)

For Heinlein, it might be better to look at something like The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress first - Time Enough For Love assumes the reader knows a fair bit of the alternate history that Heinlein built up. Starship Troopers is self contained too and well worth a peek, it's rather different to the film ...

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5