Thursday, June 19, 2008

I LOVE INTERNET RADIO

Part of my goal for my "101 in 1001" participation was to explore more radio stations. This evening I am listening to XFM (and thinking that I need to update on my progress in the 101 in 1001 project....more later).

XFM has been in the UK since 1997. It is very interesting alternative rock/indie....good variety and not stereotypical (like many of our American programs). Most of the music reminds me slightly of the Beatles....and for me that is VERY GOOD. :-)

XFM has recently expanded to the web....pretty much the only way that I listen to the radio. :-) I don't have much time to listen to the radio other than multi-tasking. With Internet radio, I have found that the song list is generally better...I have yet to get annoyed by some selection on XFM. I can just turn XFM on and not have to be mentally disturbed by someone's idea of "music."

I am enjoying this because I like to learn about new locals and customs. The shows seem to have a lot of talk....and actually not boring. Overall, the shows seem to be balanced as far as music vs. spoken word. I am getting a nice look at the lives of people who live in the UK. :-)

Speaking of the spoken word....there are podcasts on here! I am currently excited about podcasts. While I am blogging, I use podcasts to keep my sanity....keeps me from focusing too much on workplace/life stress. :-)

Actually a lot of music that I have never heard. I can purchase songs on ITunes (though I found that some things are not available in the US store....have to switch to the UK store-which I assume is possible....I will have to experiment with this).

I am news-addicted....so I like the abundance of info available on the various groups. My news obsession does cover music and I often surf the news about bands before bed. Now I can discover new groups and hear there music....sounds like a calming bedtime experience for me. :-)

There is even an option for finding gig tickets.

Things I enjoyed listening to:
-----"Do You Want To" by Franz Ferdinand
-----A morning show that asked which animal you are most like...which animal are you most like? I enjoyed the talk about responsible pet care and good pet choices for one's lifestyle.
-----Husband was amused by someone saying their show was "Number 1 in the periodic table of awesome."
-----Artic Monkeys..."Brainstorm"
-----Radiohead :-)

I had never heard of:
The Wannadies...a Swedish band that I will have to learn more about

Several other channels can also be listened to....XFM Scotland sounds particularly interesting to me. :-)


______________________________________

BY THE WAY: I JUST REALIZED THIS IS POST 42 FOR THE MONTH. I HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO 42 IN A WHILE! 42 IS MY FAVORITE NUMBER....AND I KEEP TRACK OF WHEN I REACH POST 42. DOUGLAS ADAMS FANS WILL UNDERSTAND. :-)

3 comments:

rashbre said...

I listen to XFM over the airwaves as a Londoner. I've got a little internet radio too, actually, that looks like a normal radio receiver but tunes in via WiFi and lets me listen to all manner of internet radio station.

So I can also get (eg) KFOG and Whole Wheat Radio from SF and Alaska as if its a normal FM channel.

rashbre said...

..ps you might like London's Capital Radio, too.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

I will look at London's Capital Radio. Thank you!!!

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5