Sunday, October 14, 2007

2007 Solar Decathlon

I have spent a lot of time this evening reading about something I think would be awesome to witness in-person...the BP Solar Decathlon. Imagine all those houses going up at once...and I imagine, being torn down or moved at once. The BP Spectator Fun page captures a little of what it would be like to actually be there.

Every other year, the U.S. Department of Energy has an event where 20 University Teams from around the world see who can build the best solar house. Each team designs, builds and operates a completely solar-powered house. The final part of the competition occurs October 11-19 on the National Mall in Washington D.C.

BP is one of the main corporate sponsors...and the only energy sponsor. I applaud them for the commitment that they have shown to this project.BP produces more than 200 MW of solar technology every year.

I would like to see more energy sponsors for this event. Maybe, with the increased focus on the environment that we have seen lately, this will happen next Decathlon.

The University of Colorado won in both 2002 and 2005. It will be interesting to see who wins this year. :-)
______________________

Something exciting I learned from BP:
"Did you know that an area 200 miles square covered with solar panels could provide all the electricity the world needs?"
Since solar-power is obviously a renewable resource, I would assume that this means solar panels set up like this would be a permanent solution to the world's electricity needs. I am also assuming that this would have a very positive effect on electricity bills. I do not know how much such a project would cost or if any government entity is seriously looking at implementing it.
_______________________

"BP’s jointly-owned Nerefco wind farm generates enough zero-carbon energy to power 13,000 average homes. Wind can potentially provide around a 10th of the world’s power. That would cut down dioxide emissions by a billion tons a year."
So...we have a few choices here...more than a few choices according to the various websites I have been looking at this evening. Surely a combo of some of these options is advisable and doable. :-)
_______________________

-----Energy Biosciences Institute...a new research and development organization that will bring advanced knowledge in biology, physical sciences, engineering, and environmental and social sciences to bear on problems related to global energy production, particularly the development of next-generation, carbon-neutral transportation fuels. EBI represents a collaboration between the University of California, Berkeley, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and BP.
-----ALittleBetterGasStation.com
-----TheGreenCurve.com...I want to take a look around the section that is described as a "Living Laboratory." It is called "Helios House."
-----BPAlternativeEnergy.com

I am hoping for a future that includes some wise energy choices. I would like energy choices that show compassion for both the environment and humanity.


3 comments:

Shameless said...

Yep, every little thing helps. The big corporates must be encouraged to do more things like this. :-) I still find it incredibly long to get into your site, BB. Is it just me? Is it because you have so many posts on this opening page? Just a thought in case others are coming to your site but not hanging around to wait for everything to appear. :-)

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

I don't know...the problem comes off and on. It does not seem to be due to the number of posts on the opening page....and it does not happen every time or even most of the time. Sorry about the inconvenience and thank you for telling me again. It affects my number of visitors at times.

Every little thing does help a lot. Some big things could be done to...if the people who have the power to do them cared enough.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Ok...that's weird. My blog took 15 seconds to load in Mozilla and about a minute in Internet Explorer. I have no idea why their is a problem in Internet Explorer. I haven't had anyone complain about this as of late. I guess I will be doing research on what would cause a blog to load poorly in IE.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5