Saturday, September 15, 2007

Coffee and a Faux Prostitute
One of these is not a good way to start the morning.

This posting bears repeating:
-----Man improperly accused of sex offense....this is ridiculous.

Nicholas commented when I first mentioned this (in one of my Thursday Thirteens) :
The first story in #1 isn't ridiculous; it's outrageous. Those cops need to be sued into bankruptcy.

I am wondering if a police officer can be individually sued for their actions....I am really not certain. Anyway...someone needs to pay for the fees that it was stated the family involved had to pay. Obviously, the family should not pay these fees.

Perhaps the officers involved will volunteer at least some of the money out of kindness...if it even has to be paid. Perhaps the police department will adovcate for this family to get the fees waived. The judge involved in the case might be able to send a notice that there was a mistaken arrest...I have read about judges doing this in states were cars are impounded like this.

When you think about it, that is a lot of money for someone with a family to come up with on short notice. And even if they can come up with it, that is a lot of money to sacrifice to such an incident.

I have read anonymous comments here and there that the family might have been guilty and that the case was thrown out on a technicality. I have not read anything that would substantiate this though the comments are written as if the person(s) knows what happened.

The whole encounter had to be pretty terrifying. I would have been very scared to witness something like this happening to a family member. It also has to be terrifying to be an officer on one of these stakeouts....a lot of risk to one's safety (especially if you are the bait).

This kind of thing is why I avoid certain gas stations and neighborhoods that I know are frequented by criminal activity. Conversely, it is also this kind of activity (along with criminals poising as victims) that makes us all less prone to help those in distress.
_____________________________

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

2 comments:

ThomasLB said...

I'm not surprised it happened, but I am surprised the cops didn't get away with it.

My personal encounters with policemen have left me with a very, very low opinion of them. I don't think this is a case of a few bad apples, I think this is a case of a whole rotten basket.

THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

Obviously the judge was doing his job. I don't always hear of good judges either. Parts of the whole system are corrupt.

:-)



http://www.coffeehobby.com/ 2009-06-11 daily 0.5 http://www.coffeehobby.com/st.aspx 2009-06-11 daily 0.5